Last week (about Wednesday or Thursday) I was feeling my belly and thought for sure that she had turned sideways. I could definitely tell that she had moved around a lot and that she wasn't up and down anymore. Since she turned, I could tell a real difference in what her movements felt like too. Todd got home from Boise Friday night and convinced me to call our doctor since I had a really worried feeling, like something wasn't quite right. After talking to my doctor I felt better, and he said we would make sure she was facing the right way at my next appointment, which was Monday morning. When we were there on Monday morning, she didn't feel sideways anymore, and my doctor decided to do an ultrasound just to make sure her head was still pointing down. It was fun to see her up there on the screen, but not so fun to find her head-up and bottom-down! When your baby flips to a breech position at 38 weeks, it's not likely that it'll flip again on its own. Our doctor is really great about explaining everything and giving us all the options with their risks, which he did before we left the ultrasound room. We ultimately decided to try an external version (flip her back over by pushing from the outside of my belly) later that day.
After our appointment, Todd and I called our parents to update them, then frantically cleaned the house for a couple of hours just in case we would be bringing baby home after the next time we left. The possibilities were: 1) the external version would work and I would be induced right then, 2) it wouldn't work, something may go wrong, have a c-section right then, 3) it wouldn't work, nothing else went wrong, schedule a c-section for later. We went to the hospital at noon for the procedure. My doctor and a nurse gave it all they got, but after all that pushing and squishing, baby girl didn't move. (It wasn't exactly fun, but I was a lot more sore the day after than I was right when they finished.) Nothing else went wrong--thankfully--so we scheduled a c-section for Friday at 9:00 am.
At around 7:00 pm on Monday, after all the effort trying to turn her earlier in the day, she went sideways on her own AGAIN! Todd and I both felt a butt and a head, and I just KNOW she was sideways--just like earlier last week. I immediately called my doctor to see what I should do. Since it was after hours I got the answering service, and by the time he called me back she wasn't sideways anymore. He said to head up to the hospital again so they could see if she had gone back to a head-down position, and if she was they would induce me. So once again we packed up the car and headed for the hospital. The ultrasound showed her head-up again, so no induction. I don't know how she managed to go sideways again on her own, but I guess if she can do it twice, she can do it again. It's not too likely, but she may. Let's keep our fingers crossed that if she does, she flips head-down like she should. Man, if she keeps faking us out, she is soooo grounded! Anyways, when we got back home we were both so beat. Monday was a very loooong day. And at the end of it all, our plans were set for Friday at 9:00 am by cesarean.
It's not the way we thought she'd be getting here, but we'll do whatever is the best for getting her here safely. I'm pretty bumbed that I won't get to have her the conventional way, but I know that it's just too risky to give it a try if she's not turned the right way. On Friday morning before the operation starts, they'll double-check her position. If she turned back on her own they'll induce me (which I hope so much that she does), but that's not too likely. There are no other risks to be worried about since she is just turned the wrong way, and the operation should go very smoothly. So in only a couple of days we'll be saying hello to our first little baby. Wish us luck! For now we're going to enjoy the evening together as the two of us and sleep in as long as possible tomorrow morning, since it'll be the last time for a long time...but I think the trade off will be worth it.
3 comments:
AHHH! that is so exciting and nerve racking! Hope everything goes well. We'll be anxious to see those pictures.
Best of Luck Kaila! Hope everything works out. I am so excited for you guys.
PS I could never get a hold of you last weekend while we were in Rexburg again. I still have a baby gift to give you!
Hey, good luck with everything tomorrow. I am excited to meet baby Meyers. After being in labor for 12 hours they had to give me a c section too. They are hard to heal from but you at least know that your baby is going to come out safe and sound. Good luck with everything let me know when our little ones can meet.
Post a Comment